8/19/2010

What does it mean to be a music interpreter in 2010?

Based on what I have been following over the last ten years, the overal technical potential of the average music interpreter is higher today than say sixty years ago.

But Rabelais was right "Science sans conscience n'est que ruine de l'âme".

And it is particularly true in Art in general and music rendering in particular.

Among other treasures that a trip to the gorgeous city of Marseille brought to my life, meeting René and Suzanne Gambini was priceless.

René and Suzanne created their own recording label Lyrinx some 35 years ago and, since then, they just remained true to themselves and to their philosphy and values.

During our meeting, René made me aware of the first recording of a young French pianist: Paloma Kouider.

The discovery of the art of Paloma Kouider has been one of the great joys this month of August 2010 brought to me, confirming my own motto "The best is yet to come!" even when you go through hard times.

Since then, I did start an exchange with this incredibly interesting, mature, consciencious young artist and I have to confess I enjoy it a lot.

Paloma has a web site, very well done: http://www.palomakouider.com/

You can listen to some extracts of some pieces, including the hungarian rhapsody No 12 of Franz Liszt.

I agree with René: Paloma is not like the average stainless steel pianist of today, but reminds me of the fantasy of the musicians of my childhood who were expressing their emotions through their piano: Yves Nat and Catherine Collard being two of these coming right to my mind.

It is always very emotional to witness the blossoming of a young artist: so many possibilities, so much hope, but also so much fragility.

I just can wish Paloma to enjoy the journey because this is what is really important after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment