8/20/2010

August 20, 1980.

30 years ago in Tahiti today Joe Dassin passed away.

He was only 42. American-French, son of movie director Jules Dassin and Hungarian virtuoso violinist Béatrice Launer, Joe Dassin is an alumni of University of Michigan in Ann Arbor where he got a Master Degree in Ethnology. Then he moved to France and soon started a career as a singer.

When I was a teenager, Joe Dassin was considered the epitome of sophistication and he was indeed.
His love songs are the reflect of his life: losing a child at birth five days after delivery in 1969 and having his couple being destroyed after that tragic event.

I still love Joe Dassin and his music and when I drive in the gorgeous Shenandoah Valley or when I return from a business trip and I have to drive a rental car from Dulles airport to Lynchburg, the journey is always much more enjoyable with "Salut les amoureux", "A toi", "Mon village du bout du monde", " Ca va pas changer le monde" or "les plus belles années de ma vie".

Joe, you will never be forgotten !

So long and R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment